1Above™ began its journey in 2010, when founder - Roger Boyd, through his mission to create awareness around the health impacts of flying, launched 1Above™ following years of development and research. The key to the product’s effectiveness and outstanding success lies with the power of a natural bark extract - Pycnogenol® - which has more than 40 years of clinical support in the areas of travel well-being and many other health related benefits. Pycnogenol® is often referred to as "Natures Super Anti-Oxidant".
With it’s ability to combat jet lag and travel fatigue through hydration, circulation, and immunity support - 1Above™ has helped travellers world-wide hit the ground running and beat the effects of flying.
STAND UP TO JET LAG
One of the key active ingredients in 1Above™ is Pycnogenol®, a natural bark extract, and research on Pycnogenol® has shown it to reduce the length of jet lag by 53.8% and severity by an average of 61.5% after 24 hours (1).
The research project involved two studies with 68 travellers in the first group and 65 in the second. In the first study, travellers who took Pycnogenol® supplements reported taking 18.2hrs to recover versus 39.3hrs in the control group who took no Pycngenol®.
TAKE A STANCE AGAINST SWOLLEN LIMBS
Pycnogenol® been shown to reduce the occurrence of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) during flight. In a double-blind placebo study on 198 passengers, those taking Pycnogenol® supplements showed no thrombosis events as opposed to 5 reported cases in the control group (2). In this study, each group received 200mg of Pycnogenol® 2-3hrs before flight with 250mL of water, 200mg 6hrs into the flight and 100mg the next day.
In a similar study conducted by Cesarone et al (3), those receiving Pycnogenol® had reduced ankle swelling versus those in a control group, swelling reducing an average of 45%. Through Pycnogenol® clinical studies it has been shown to promote the production of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide can help to keep blood vessels open and relaxed.
Hydration is also essential to normal circulation function, and critical when in a flying environment at 30,000 - 40,000ft, which is drier than the Sahara, so 1Above™ combines the benefits of Pycnogenol® with 6 essential electrolytes to get you hydrated fast. For best results, we recommend 200mL per hour of travel and for even better results 1L 2-3 days either side of travel.
SUPPORT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
A dry environment such as a planes cabin can dry out your body’s natural defence system in your ears, eyes, nose, and throat. Combined with close proximity to other travellers research has indicated you are more than 5 times as likely to catch colds or other illness on a plane (4). For these reasons it is vital to stay hydrated in flight, and 1Above™ contains 6 essential electrolytes to help you hydrate fast.
Pycnogenol® has also been shown to reduce the average length of the common cold and reduce symptoms by 1.7 days or 20% (5). 1Above™ combines Pycnogenol®, vitamin C, B vitamins and essential electrolytes to help you combat the impact of any flu and sure up your natural defences against it.
(1) Belcaro G et al (2008). Jet lag prevention with Pycnogenol. Preliminary report: evaluation in health individualised hypertensive patients. Minerva Cardioangiol: 56 (5 Suppl):3-9
(2) Belcaro G et al (2004). Pycnogenol® prevents thrombosis and thrombophlebitis in long-haul flights. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 10(4): 289-294
(3) Cesarone M R et al (2005). Pycnogenol® is effective against swelling of ankles during long flights based on the subjective and objective data in a double-blind, placebo controlled study. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 11 (3): 289-294
(4) Hocking & Foster (2004). Common cold transmission in commercial aircraft: Industry and passenger. Journal of Environmental Health Research. Vol 3. Issue 1
(5) Belcar G (2013). Pycnogenol supplementation speeds-up recovery from a common cold, and even more efficiently in combination with vitamin C and zinv. Otorinolaringol 63: 151-161, 2013